Get the Flash Player to see this player.

Home > Moving to Crete > Becoming a resident in Crete

Becoming a resident in Crete

For information on issuing departments and documents to be submitted please visit the official site of the Ministry of Public Order at:

In addition to passports and visas, other types of documentation may be required during your stay abroad in establishing identity, applying for permits and licenses, verifying legal arrangements, paying taxes, and fulfilling other obligations required by your own government or that of your host country.

Therefore, it is advisable to have multiple copies of important documents made to take with you. Do not pack them away with belongings being shipped. Keep them with you in the event that they may be needed while travelling or during the settling-in period. Some documents that you should have available include the following:
· Descriptive data page of each family member's passport
· Certificates of each family member
· Marriage certificate
· National driver's license
· Passport-size photographs of each family member
· Certificates of citizenship for naturalized individuals
· Adoption papers
· Divorce and child custody papers
· Medical insurance coverage
· Medical records, where appropriate
· Dental records
· Property and motor vehicle insurance records
· Income tax records for several previous years
· Wills
· Power of attorney
· Lease or rental agreement for housing in your new country
As far as moving to Crete, Greece is concerned, you are strongly advised to have the previous documents translated and in multiple certified copies by your local Greek Embassy prior to you arrival. Nonetheless, you can obtain the latter also in Greece.

If you are being relocated due to business, it can be useful to have several copies of employment contracts or at least a letter from the relocating businessperson's employer outlining terms of the overseas assignment such as length of stay, salary, housing arrangements, and other pertinent considerations. Even though the employer already may have secured the necessary permits and approvals, having such documentation at hand may answer any questions that may arise in dealing with local host country authorities.

In any case, you can always ask for help from our staff who will guide you through and assist you.

Search Property

See Also