Driving Essentials for EU Residents
According to the official website of the Ministry of Transport and Communications at www.yme.gr the process of converting a valid driving licence issued by a EU Member State into the corresponding Greek licence, is provided by the Citizens Service Centres.
The Competent Department is the Regional Government Transports and Communications Department of applicant’s place of residence.
The applicant must:
- Have his ordinary place of residence in Greece.
- Hold a valid driving licence issued by an EU Member State or by Norway, Iceland and Liechtenstein.
- Not hold another driving licence issued by Greece or another EU Member State (including Norway, Iceland and Liechtenstein).
- Have reached the required age for each driving licence category.
- Application - formal statement.
- Photocopy of identity card or Greek passport if applicant is a Greek national.
- Photocopy of passport if applicant is a foreign national.
- A translation of the foreign licence by the Foreign Ministry or a lawyer.
- The foreign driving licence, which must be valid.
- Photocopy of a valid establishment or residence permit or other equivalent document, if applicant is not a Greek national, issued at least 185 days before the application or 95 days if applicant is a national of the EU or Norway, Iceland and Liechtenstein and which will still be valid until the day of reception of the Greek driving licence.
- Two recent passport-type photographs (colour).
- A Public Revenue Office receipt for the payment of the required fixed stamp duties and third party levies of 18 euros for categories A and B and 108.15 euros for the remaining categories.
- The application must be submitted to the Transport and Communications Department of applicant’s place of residence.
- The foreign driving licence will be returned to the issuing country’s relevant authority by the competent Transport and Communications Department.
- Should the applicant hold another driving licence, issued by Greece or another EU Member State (including Norway, Iceland and Liechtenstein), this must be handed over so that a new licence incorporating all vehicle categories and subcategories that he/she is authorized to drive may be issued.
Time needed for document to be issued:
Depends on the competent Regional Government Transport and Communications Department.