Get the Flash Player to see this player.

Home > Moving to Crete > Practicalities > Legal Affairs

Legal Affairs

You may want to go over your affairs with an attorney before you relocate. At the very least, you will want to be sure that everything relating to ownership of property, loan liability, and legal obligations is in order.

Power of attorney

You may consider giving a lawyer a limited power of attorney to handle your personal and financial affairs while you are abroad. You should also inquire as to property laws in the assignment country. Even if you don't purchase housing, local regulations may affect which belongings you may take with you. Your moving company may be able to provide this information.


Changes in wills also may be advisable relative to the circumstances while living abroad. You also will want to check on the advisability of drawing up a second will in your new country, according to its laws on inheritance, to avoid any complications. This is essential should you buy property in your host country. In some countries, an individual's entire estate, including property in your home country, may be subject to local taxes and regulation, if death occurs while you are abroad.

Participating in elections

As a rule, expatriates are encouraged by their home governments to participate in elections by absentee ballot. Registration and establishment of a voting address in your home country is required. This is best taken care of before your departure. Absentee ballots must be requested from appropriate election authorities in your home country in advance of elections.

What you should always keep in mind is that the staff of GIAKOUMAKIS Real Estate are always happy to assist. We have a wide network of accredited professional associates to recommend that will help you in any way.

Search Property

See Also